Thursday, January 14, 2010

Look who got a new door...



We had an exciting night.

I got this bright idea to buy our dogs a new doggy door to replace the old one. The flap on the old one had gotten yucky (for lack of a better word). So, I go to Home Depot with no measurements. (I was thinking I would just recognize the size of doggy door we already had, but I should have known better.)

So, I get the doggy door home. Todd thinks it looks like the same size also. So, he takes the original one out. He has some issues removing the old one and has to break some of the screws to get it out. But, he got it out and low and behold, the new one does not fit.

So we are stuck with two options.

Option A: Go buy another new doggy door

Option B: Cut a bigger hole in the door

I voted for Option B. Todd voted for Option A. So, he decided to run to Lowe's and get a different door.

Meanwhile, there is a big gaping hole in the door and we really have no option but to fix it somehow (or go all redneck and put a piece of plywood over it).

After spending nearly an hour at Lowe's, he returns to go with Option B. Lowe's did not have anything that was the same size either.

Out come the power tools and Todd begins cutting the existing hole about an inch wider. He begins cutting and cutting and cutting. Then the kitchen fills with an awful burning smell and a bunch of smoke from the blade cutting into the wood.

Then the smoke alarms decide to chime in. I get some papers and start fanning the smoke alarms. But as soon as I stop, the alarms go off again. After about 30 minutes of this, my arms felt like they were going to fall completely off.

By this time, Kaelin is crying because the noise is ridiculous, the smell is nauseating, and the house is around 50 degrees because the doors are open.

My uncle gets the vacuum cleaner out and begins sucking up the smoke to try to get the alarms to quit.

We end up with a fan sucking air out the front door, the canister vacuum sucking air in the kitchen, me on a stool fanning the smoke alarms, Todd cutting the door (still), my aunt on the couch with Kaelin crying (still), and the dogs running around like they were about to eat a steak dinner.

Meanwhile, the neighbors are peering through their windows as this freakshow takes place. (True story... they were having a security system installed in their house today... I can't blame them... we must have looked totally insane.)

WOW... I am exhausted, but the dogs have a new door.

The things we will do for our pets...

No comments: