Thursday, March 11, 2010

Running Stories

Since it is spring, all we really do is run. (Part of the reason I am so slow at posting anything new). Last weekend, we spent the entire weekend running. For the 3rd year in a row, we ran the Texas Independent Relay. This race is actually one of my favorites because of the nature of it. It involves a 12 person team, 2 vans, 2 or 3 drivers and 203 miles run over two days.

(My insanity is probably shining through because I actually chalked this race up to quality fun.)

Kaelin has gone with me all three years and she just loves it. She always waits a block away from where I hand off to the next runner and she runs the last part of the race with me. It makes her feel so important because everyone is cheering for her. (You know the spot light is not something she has ever run away from).

After spending the weekend with 12 runners (some of them are WAY more serious and dedicated than I am), I noticed that runners have different conversations than most people. Here are some examples (WARNING... some of these things might seem gross to the non-runners, but all of the runners will totally relate):

1. Let me just get a gross one out of the way... Toenails... every runner knows what I am referring to when I talk about losing a toenail. The constant pounding on the pavement causes a blister to form under your toenail and the toenail turns black, then comes off. (Yuck... gross...) It is really not as bad as it sounds. In fact, it does not hurt that bad. I have lost toenails on 4 toes this year. One of the toes, I damaged the same toe nail again. So, how do you fix that... (warning... another gross part)... you have to take a pin and drill it into the toe nail to relieve the pressure (and the other nasty stuff in it). Prevention... I have tried new shoes, bigger shoes, different socks, taping toe bandages around each toe... nothing really makes a difference.

2. Distance... one of my favorite things that people ask or tell me... I love it when people ask me how long the marathon is that I am running. Really people... a marathon is 26.2 miles and a half marathon is 13.1 miles. That never changes. There is actually Greek history that goes along with that distance and the name marathon. I also love it when someone tells me they are going to run in a marathon over the weekend. I ask where and say I did not know you were a runner. They proceed to tell me they signed up for it last week have run a couple of times this week. The more I prod... they are running/walking in a 5K. There is a slight difference of 23.2 miles between a marathon and a 5K. But you are off to a good start.

3. Fanny packs vs. running belts... Never refer to what a runner is wearing as a fanny pack. That is something Chinese tourists wear. We wear running belts. They are WAY cooler than a fanny pack. Some running belts hold water bottles, little pockets for money, chapstick, etc. But they are never called fanny packs.

4. Injury... It is not "if you get hurt" it is "when you get hurt". It happens... Runners can listen to any other runner complain about a pain and give an immediate diagnosis and treatment. If your knee is hurting above the knee cap, probably the illiotibial band (but don't call it that, call it the IT band)... take it easy and ice your knee after every run. Your upper thigh hurts, hamstring.... you don't stretch enough before or after running. So, don't waste your time and money going to doctors for aches and pains, just talk to your neighborhood runners. They will fix you right up.

5. Running watch.... I do own some very nice watches, but refuse to wear them. I love my running watch. When I am dressing up, I wear my black running watch, when I am going casual, I wear my light purple running watch. Yes, I really did wear my running watch to a formal wedding (my dress was black and so was my watch, so at least I matched).

6. Bodily functions... another great gross topic... We got into a conversation about the "art of blowing your nose while running". You know if there was a gross conversation going on, I was right in the middle of it. Here is the art... since you don't have Kleenex with you (because if you did, they would be drenched in sweat), you have to blow your nose as you run. To get the technique correct, you have to bend your head at a certain angle, hold one nostril down and blow with lots of force. The correct angle keeps it from going all over your face (so I was informed). As a courtesy to other runners, you need to make sure no one is behind you because they might get a little upset.

Enough running stories for now, but don't worry, I have lots more to share and enlighten you with.

No comments: