Friday, December 11, 2009

Wrong Crowd

So, I made it back to Austin with no problems. I even think (or everyone told me) that Kaelin was dressed nice every day.

Funny Austin Story...
In Austin, I felt like I was constantly eating (no, I am not complaining). We had lots of catered meals and then ate in big social groups for others.

I realized I was probably in the wrong crowd when I went to dinner one night. I went to dinner with a group of my colleagues from other schools.

Before the waitress came over to take our drink order, my friends started talking about the different wine selections.

They started talking about the Beaujolais (yes, I had to google this word to even spell it correct). Evidently, (according to my friends) they had a fabulous crop this year and the wine is suppose to be excellent. ---- This is where I began saying "what in the world..."

So, as we talked about different grape harvests and wine selections, my mind began to wonder because I am not accustomed to talking about wine selections.

My mind began wondering (never a good thing)...
I wonder how the harvest is going on Boone's Farm?
I wonder how the grapes are up on Strawberry Hill?

As they were talking about the wine, I wanted to ask (but didn't) "Does this wine come corked, in a screw cap, or boxed?" (I am good with all of the above)

I did order a glass of the Beaujolais (double checked spelling again). It was good, but I don't think I could really tell a difference in that and the stuff from the grocery store.

After talking (or listening) wine for an hour or so, I began to think about the "redneck gene" that I am convinced I was born with.
- "Do these people know what NHRA stands for?"
- If asked who Jimmy Johnson is, would they answer "owner of Lowe's", "a football player", or "Nascar Champion"?
- Would they know that beer comes bottled, canned, and even kegged?

I am sure I can answer these questions for them and the answers are not that pretty.

The real kicker.... the dinner we had was terribly over priced. I had one of those Beaujolais's (again checked spelling) and a Chilean Sea bass and it cost me more than a pair of designer shoes. (I would have rather had the shoes).

These people are super nice and I see them many times a year, but I think they somehow missed the "redneck gene".

If I were making the decisions, we would go eat some Bar-B-Que and maybe stop by Wal-mart on the way home (and then still have enough money left over to buy the designer shoes).

1 comment:

Kathy Lyn said...

I am with you sister! A lil bbq and a Wal-Mart or Costco outing and I'm good!