Sunday, October 4, 2009

Where did the weekend go?

It has been a busy weekend (but that is nothing new in our house).

Saturday we ran in the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure. This has got to be Kaelin's ALL TIME FAVORITE RACE. I bet you will never guess why. This race is all about the color pink and as you know, so is Kaelin. Her eyes were as wide as saucers. In fact, she was pointing out everyone that was not wearing pink and asking them why they were not wearing pink. It was a truly great race for a great cause and it was all pink.

Pink is sooooooo my color!!!!

Sunday was brutal. I go back to my theory of God having a great sense of humor when he called this the day of rest.

I got up at 5:00 AM to meet some friends for an 11 mile run. Yes, I said 11. Now, if you don't know what the weather was today, then you are lucky. Today was a combination of nasty rain mixed with nasty drizzle topped off with about 200% humidity. So our run involved jumping over mud puddles (occasionally missing, which meant I landed in the middle of the puddle), getting carried away by mosquitoes, and getting rained on the entire time. Sounds fun!!!

After the run that felt more like some type of training for a military operation, I hurried home and got ready for church. Kaelin had already gone to church with Aunt Debbie.

Church was exceptionally good today (in fact, the highlight of the entire day, which is the way it is suppose to be, isn't it?). We had the author of "90 Minutes in Heaven". He was truly inspirational.

After the great sermon, things kind of went downhill fast.

Kaelin and I went to the grocery store (Sunday routine). She was pretty good at the grocery store... sometimes I am not quite so lucky. We left the store, walked into the parking lot where it was still raining. The rain was beginning to come down pretty hard, so I put Kaelin in the car along with my purse. I went ahead and started the car while I put the grocery bags into the trunk of the car. In the meantime, Kaelin decided to go lock all four doors on the car. Then, she even went as far as to buckle herself into her car seat.

So let me recap (before I describe my meltdown in the Kroger's parking lot). Kaelin is in the car... with it running... with all 4 doors locked... buckled into her car seat... with my purse (which contained my cell phone)... and it was pouring rain.

What was I to do?

The only thing I could... bang on the windows... holler like a crazy person... and stand there getting drenched in the rain. This went on for about 10 minutes. Several people came up to help me, but I think I scared them away. Kaelin knew she was about to be in so much trouble. She can buckle herself in her car seat, but can't get it unbuckled. After a lot of hollering and crying (on her part), she managed to wiggle her way out from under the straps in her car seat and come unlock one of the doors.

We did not speak the entire ride home. I was too mad at her and still a little scared of the thoughts going through my head on how I would have solved this crisis if she was not able to get out of her car seat. I looked like a drowned rat. I was wet from head to toe, Kaelin was in the backseat not saying one word. We finally had a discussion on why locking the doors was not a good idea and how dangerous it was.

After getting home and cooking lunch, Kaelin and I finally laid down for a much needed nap. We both slept for about 3 hours. So in the end, Sunday did become a day of rest preceded by a morning of stress.

No comments: