Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Where does her mouth come from?

Kaelin is the sweetest girl. Even when she gets in trouble for something, she is so quick to apologize and she truly feels guilty when she has hurt your feelings or said or done something she is not suppose to have done.

She has had a couple of "where did that come from" episodes lately. (I say "where did that come from", but anyone that knows Todd and I would quickly agree that it most likely came out of my mouth rather than Todd's). Todd is convinced that I must have been a sailor or a pirate in a past life, but I try to have good language around Kaelin- but I am not always perfect.

Disclaimer- These stories are intended to be used in the future as a way to embarass Kaelin (graduation, wedding, etc.). These stories as well as the entire blog serve more as a baby book or scrap book to help us remember everything that we do as a family. Because I am here to tell you that there are things you think you could never forget and within a matter of weeks or months, they are gone. Although these are not the most wholesome stories, they are part of our life and "it is what it is".

Story 1- The other day, Kaelin walked out the back door and Todd had left a pair of tennis shoes on the step. She stumbled over them, fell on the concrete and ended up with scrapes on her hands and knees. She came inside to get cleaned up and get some band-aids. I asked her what happened and she said "I tripped over daddy's damn shoes." I did not laugh right then, but I was just dieing on the inside. I talked to her about saying that word and she understood that it was not an appropriate choice.

Story 2- Kaelin and I were in the truck and Todd got out to go do something. Kaelin was in the backseat and she looked at me, put her hands on her hips and said "what the hell?". In her defense, she was ready to leave, but once again, we had to have a little conversation about chosing appropriate words.

Story 3- I asked Kaelin to carry a few things upstairs. She looked at me and said "whatever you say Big Butt." Ok- so Todd and I don't know where this came from. Neither of us call anyone big butt. But, being nearly 7 months pregnant, I can see where she could easily come up with that one on her own. As soon as she said it, she felt immediately guilty. She stopped and looked at me and immediately began apologizing. I did not even have to give her a lecture on word choice this time. She took herself upstairs, while I went and mopped the kitchen. When I came upstairs, she had given herself a time out to think about what she had said. (I never told her to go to timeout, she did that all on her own). When I came into the room, she said "Momma, can you come here so I can talk to you?". I went over to her and she put her arms around my neck and said "Momma, I am so sorry for saying those ugly words, I won't ever say them again". This was the easiest lecture and punishment I had ever had to give to her. She knew the minute it was out of her mouth, that it was not a nice thing to say. (But when I tried to retell the story to Todd, I could not stop laughing. It really was funny- I just did not let Kaelin know that).

No comments: