Monday, July 13, 2009

Garner Girl

We just got back from 5 days in Garner. This was Kaelin's first trip to Garner, so did a lot and have lots of fun stories to share.

The weather was blazing HOT. (But that part of Texas always has a great breeze). Even with a great breeze, there is not a lot that can be done to cool off the 108+ temperatures.

Just like New Braunfels, there was not much water in the river. One of the locals we talked to said they have not had any significant amount of rain in two years. WOW.... I thought we were in a drought here. It was really sad driving down and seeing all of the crop fields totally scorched and burned up from the heat and lack of rain.

Yes, we stayed in a tent AGAIN... we are just gluttons for punishment. Did we not learn our lesson in New Braunfels?????

We had a great campground, but their choice of music was not exactly a top pick for us. One day, Todd walked back from the bathroom and I was just dying laughing. He looked at me and then heard what I was laughing so hard at. Our neighbors were actually playing "My Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus. If that was not bad enough, it was followed by the Mackarena (not sure of the spelling). The next day, we got to wake up to the Kenny Rogers song "Lady". You might be thinking "that song is not that bad, what are you fussing about?" The song was in Spanish. The song went something like this "Senora...". Again, another laughable moment.

Our neighbors were having some type of family reunion, so they did not have just one or two tents on their site... They had 1 RV, 2 pop up campers, 4 tents, plus two additional campsites with an equal amount of stuff on each of those. (No joking... I am very serious... I should have taken pictures) I saw one truck pull up (single cab Dodge Dakota truck with a camper on the back) and at least 6 people got out of this one little truck that I don't think 3 people could even fit in. Several more vehicles arrived looking about the same. When it was all said and done, they must have had around 75 people with their group.

Saturday night must have been line dancing night at the neighbors campsite. They had some type of line dancing CD that contained every line dance you could think of. Todd, Kaelin and I turned the lights out at our campsite so they could not see us sitting their. We sat their and just laughed at all of the line dancing.

When we came home on Sunday, I told Todd that I thought my tent days had come to a screeching halt. It is just too hot, too cramped, too dirty, uncomfortable air mattresses, etc. Garner was very similar to New Braunfels in the fact that we just don't fit into the tent camping section. The tent campers are young college age kids, or a group of 75 + that arrive with 4 tents and 4 cars. As soon as we got the truck unpacked, Todd got out his laptop. I asked him what he was working on and he said he was looking up some RV's. Smart choice...

On my next post, I will update you on our trip to the bats and the concert we attended- along with some pictures of our little Garner girl.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I'm happy to see you posting again. Even though I see ya'll a lot, I still miss reading the stories.