Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July

How do the Hicks' celebrate the 4th of July????

We are CRAZY ... crazier than you might think. We all (including Kaelin) got up at 5:30 AM (what in the world for- you might be asking yourself). We went and picked up Aunt Debbie and Uncle Truman and headed to downtown Houston to run in a race. Yes, I know it was hot. Yes, I know it was early. Yes, I know it was a holiday. Yes, I know all of this. But, you should know by now that we are just nuts!!!

Todd, Uncle Truman, and I all ran a 5K and Kaelin ran the kids 1K. Today is the hottest day I can remember. The race was hot and one of the hardest races I have ever run due to the INSANE extreme heat.


Kaelin loved the race. She was so funny. She has really gotten into running races. She runs the entire time and encourages the other kids to keep running. She made friends with a little girl today and she kept saying "I have to go catch up with my friend". Too cute. She got a fancy medal and a little American flag (both have become prized possessions). We barely made it out of the parking lot and Kaelin crashed.




After we got home (and napped), we had a little 4th of July family get together. Mamaw, Papa, Aunt Debbie, Uncle Truman, and Uncle JW all came over for hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, corn on the cob, tomatoes from my garden, and HOMEMADE ICE CREAM WITH HOMEMADE BLACKBERRY COBBLER... yum yum. What a perfect American meal. The guys even sat in the living room (due to the insane heat outside) and watched baseball.




What a great day to live in such a great country.





You might be looking at the pictures wondering what in the world does the little princess have on? She was wearing an extremely cute 4th of July blue and white striped seersucker outfit that I dressed her in. The boots and cowboy belt were all Kaelin's doing. I had some very cute red and white polka dotted sandals picked out, but evidently that did not fit Kaelin's fancy. She went back up the stairs and dolled herself all up.


We would like to thank everyone that is fighting or have ever fought for our wonderful country. We are truly grateful to live in such a magnificent country with such spectacular freedom. We would not be where we are today without such brave people standing up and protecting everything we hold sacred.

No comments: