Thursday, July 30, 2009

Paint

Here is the paint story I warned about in a previous post.

I needed to go buy some paint to paint the following items: chair rail, baseboards, and the headboard and foot board to Kaelin's bed. Sounds simple, right?

WRONG!!!

Mistake 1: I went to Lowe's rather than going to the paint specialty store that I know and trust.

Mistake 2: I told the guy at Lowe's what I needed and in between him talking to a "buddy" and texting on his phone, he came back with a gallon of paint. Todd looked at it and reiterated the items we were painting. The guys said "yes, this will work".

Mistake 3 & 4: We actually believed the guy and purchased the paint.

I took the paint home and began painting the chair rail (which turned out fine). I then moved on to painting the baseboards (turned out okay, but had to paint quite a few times). I then moved on to the bed (I am still screaming about this one...).

I painted the bed and the paint began peeling off. So, I stripped that paint off. I then applied Kilz primer to the headboard and foot board. I let that dry, then I painted the headboard and foot board AGAIN. (My blood pressure is beginning to rise again just from typing this). The paint began peeling off again.

I called Lowe's, asked to speak to the manager. The operator asked me what it was regarding and in my head, I said "It is regarding the complete IDIOTS that probably could not even find a job flipping burgers at McDonald's, but you have hired them to work in the paint department" but I really said "It is regarding a paint issue I have." I then explained the entire ordeal. She went and spoke to the manager who said I could return the paint. I told her, that was fine, but when I return it will there be someone with 1/2 a brain that can help me with the proper paint. And I am not lying when I tell you this next part... The operator actually looked at the schedule and said so and so is working right now, but so and so comes in at 4:00. She then said "I am really not sure if either of them know what they are doing, but there is a lady that is working the cash registers that knows a lot about paint."

WHAT... are you kidding me... They even know they have morons running the paint department. So if you know you can't provide people with the proper service, then you should no longer offer that service.

My eight or more hours of hard work has now more than doubled. I have to strip the paint and Kilz, sand the furniture, and REPAINT... Again.

Lessons Learned...
1. Lowe's knows they hire stupid people and they seem okay with that.
2. Purchase paint from a paint specialty store (Sherwin Williams).
3. Evidently customer service is a lost art.
4. Apparently texting on your cell phone at work is an acceptable practice (I see it everywhere.)
5. I will probably never get (nor want) a job at Lowe's if they should ever read this and I am okay with that.
6. The money, time, effort, and frustration could have been saved if I had just gone out and bought a new bed rather than thinking simply painting this one was a good idea.
7. When painting, it is okay to use the word stripper, strip, and stripping with no one getting offended.

When (If) I finish the bed, I will post a picture.

No comments: