Friday, August 7, 2009

Trip to Nannie and Pawpaw's House



Yesterday, Kaelin and I drove to Woodville to spend the day with Nannie and Pawpaw. We had such a great time. We don't get to spend near as much time with them as we would like to. I am always saying that Kaelin is at the age where traveling has become very easy. When she was little, I was convinced we were going to need a U-haul just to carry all of the gear she had. But now I have decided, the gear she had has just been exchanged for different gear. Not necessarily less stuff, just different stuff. Just to go for a visit, we had to pack one full bag of Kaelin's clothes (with 4 different pairs of shoes- that Kaelin felt the need to bring), one full bag of inflatable toys, life jacket, arm floaties, etc., one bag of beach towels, one bag of my bathing suit, cover up, etc., and one cooler with drinks and some little snacks. Plus the car load of toys that Kaelin kept insisting on bringing. She said her baby dolls really wanted to go see Nannie and Pawpaw also. So, (leaving one hour later than planned due to the need for a U-Haul or at least an SUV) we were on our way to see Nannie and Pawpaw.




Pawpaw made us some yummy hamburgers when we got there and Nannie made my absolute favorite cake, Chocolate Sheet Cake. I could probably eat almost the entire thing by myself (although I will try not to).

After lunch, Kaelin could hardly wait to get her bathing suit on and head out to the lake. Kaelin had so much fun swimming around in the lake. She wore her arm floaties, but she kept telling Nannie "Watch me swim..." and then she would say "I am very good at swimming." She just loved it.



The swimming really wore Kaelin out because once we got out, she began going downhill pretty fast. She was getting so sleepy. But not sleepy enough that she could not go dig in the dirt with a shovel and pail. Then she took Pawpaw on a tour of the yard. She kept telling him "let's go here, now let's go here..."

After touring the yard, digging up all the dirt she could find, we finally decided it was about time to leave so we would not get home too late. Nannie gave Kaelin a little set of Wizard of Oz dolls. Kaelin would not let them go while we were in the car (that is the box in her hands in the picture). I tried taking it out of her hands several times, but she would immediately wake up and start crying. She would ask where her babies were and would not stop crying until she had the box back in her hands. Kaelin got in the car and was asleep within 10 minutes. She slept the entire way home and stayed asleep while I unloaded the car. I finally had to wake her up to come into the house. She was wiped out....

Nannie sent us home with some of the chocolate sheet cake. Kaelin looked at me and said "Mommy, you can share with me, right?" I said "I probably could and probably should, but I don't know if I will." (that is how much I truly love this cake). So, this is my breakfast this morning. (Kaelin is still asleep, so I am not having to share.)

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Did Kaelin or Todd get any of Nanny's world famous cake?! I know I didn't!